Monday, October 31, 2011

Project Dining Table

 It was time to face the facts, we needed a bigger table, and fast! We had been trying to deny it for too long, poor Logan had to sit on the corner of the last table on a bar stool.  And, guests? Forget about it! My Mom was coming out to visit in a week and a half and we needed to do something. Finally it came together and we were able to come up with this beauty!

 Russ pulled up with a van full of wood at about 12:30 on a Saturday and we got to work. We got the whole table and benches made by about 8:30 that night, only a couple hours off for dinner time. Russ and I made a great team building this!
 After letting it dry a few days and a good sanding I got to work painting it on a Thursday morning.  I started with this awesome "dewalt" yellow as Russ likes to call it. It is just acrylic paint watered down to go on easier and fast. After the yellow dried I got my dark chocolate brown latex paint and went over the yellow making streaks with the brush. I used a bit of the spray bottle to make it go on smoother and to faster.
 The next coat of paint was an acrylic black really watered down, I'd say 50/50, with a sponge...and gloves? Who needs those?!  After the black dried I put 3 coats of polyurethane, used a foam roller, then brushed it smooth.  Sanded between each coat with a 400 grit sand paper.
So loving the new seating arrangement in the kitchen!

2 comments:

Kris Tina said...

Crap. You know how this kind of stuff is my dream. It looks fantastic-o!

Lynette said...

Love it Megan!! I think you should have left it yellow though!!! That looked fun!
Once again you killed it! well maybe nailed it so it doesn't sound so crazy!! LOL